Deceased Donor Transplantation
Kidney Quality and Transplantation
- Kidney quality predicts transplant outcome.
- Kidneys can be obtained from
- brain dead donor (donation after brain death: DBD).
- Non-heart beating donor (donation after cardiac death: DCD).
- Kidney Donor Profile Index (KDPI) is a score
- KDPI scores is based on certain DONOR factors (age, blood pressure stroke, kidney function, etc...)
- Score is from 1-100 (lower scores mean better kidney) KDPI < 85% are considered as good
Cadaver or Deceased Donor Kidney Allocation to Patients
- Waiting time (1 point for each year of waiting on the list or each year on dialysis which ever is longer)
- Quality of Match (1 point for each DR match, maximum of 2)
- Points for patient’s Pre-formed antibody (higher the antibody level will result in more points.
- Patient with maximum points will be called for the kidney transplant!