Immediately After Transplantation
Post transplant surgery - key points to know
- Hospitalization for 3-8 days.
- Post surgery follow-up and blood test (1-3 times a week).
- Outpatient Transplant clinic (1-2 times a week, then once a week, then once a month and then eventually to once year).
- Return to work in 4-12 weeks.
- Will require assistance for transportation and help at home until complete recovery from surgery.
About Post transplant medications
- Immunosuppressive medications
- Antibodies after transplant (Thymoglobulin, Simulect)
- Maintenance (Cellcept or Myfortic and Tacrolimus or Cyclosporine)
- Prednisone (Steroid) may be necessary
- Prophylactic medications to prevent infections (Bactrim, Valcyte, Acyclovir, etc…)
- Other medications may be necessary for BP, Diabetes, Cholesterol and heart medications
Complications after kidney transplantation
- After Surgery (wound infections, lung infection)
- Kidney (cell rejection, antibody rejection, recurrent disease, BKV infection, medication toxicity)
- Infections (Urine, surgical site, lungs), Viral infections -CMV, BKV, EBV
- Tumors (Skin, Lymphoma, Cervical cancers and Native kidney tumors)
- Complications from medications (Diabetes, high blood pressure, tremors, hair growth, hair loss, diarrhea)
- Common metabolic complications. (High Blood Pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, weight gain)
- Heart (Heart disease including irregular heart rhythm, angina, heart attack, heart failure)